Project Manager Programmable Networks
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of the IDLab Wireless Networks program, we are looking for a Project Manager Programmable Networks.
- You will help in setting up and managing, mostly applied programmable-networks projects with multiple international partners involved, with a strong focus on domains such as industry 4.0, connected mobility, smart cities, transport and logistics where 5G and 6G solutions are put into place/services of the mentioned domains.
- You are able to translate the technical requirements of partners to technical challenges, and – together with researchers – define clear methodologies for addressing them.
- You follow up on progress within research projects and are able to communicate the work and the findings in reports and/or presentations to internal and external stakeholders. If needed, you are able to adapt the work or the focus where needed.
- You will make sure that the results and research can be integrated into a real setup or demonstrator towards other stakeholders or interested parties
- You will work together with the other managers in teams and share our high ambitions.
- You will participate in research projects, mostly in collaboration with industry, on a national and international level.
- You can also be involved in the technical project execution, if interested, in parallel to the project management.
Required and desirable skills:
- You have, preferable, a PhD degree, in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, and related fields, or equivalent expertise in wireless (and somehow with transport/backhaul) network related research.
- You have a general background in communications networks and hands-on experience with communication networks related projects.
- You have knowledge/experience with managing and supervising team members.
- You are able to explain the challenges of new communication technologies to a broad non-technical audience but also enjoy going really technical.
- You have an understanding of 5G and 6G technologies.
- You have an understanding of Network softwarization / virtualization.
- You are a proactive problem solver and a team player with strong communication skills.
- You take ownership of your work.
- You have flexibility to travel to project meetings and events (the job is based in Antwerp, it is not combined with remote work from abroad).
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
Skills that would be a plus:
- You consider yourself a new communications technologies expert. When someone asks: “RAN, MEC, CORE, SA, NSA?”, you feel the urge to jump into the discussion.
- Having experience with participating in national and/or international research projects is an advantage.
- Start date: as soon as possible.
- Employment: fulltime.
- Type of contract: 1 year contract with the possibility of renewal as a permanent contract after a positive evaluation.
- Place of employment: The Beacon, Sint-Pietersvliet 7, 2000 Antwerp.
More information on the position: Prof. dr. Johann Marquez-Barja - email@example.com & dr. Nina Slamnik-Krijestorac - firstname.lastname@example.org
HR-Related Questions: Ms. Michelle Nietvelt – email@example.com