Postdoctoral researcher on Machine-Learning driven programmable networks
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, where you will work, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of the IDLab machine learning cluster, we are looking for a post-doctoral researcher in the domains of both machine learning and networking.
- You will lead the programmable networks and AI team within the IDLab research group.
This team consists of about 5+ PhD students and has a strong track
record in AI-driven network management. It was one of the
finalists of the DARPA Spectrum Collaboration Challenge in 2019 (6th place).
- You are conducting research on machine learning driven programmable
network management often through collaborative projects with
industrial and academic partners.
- You develop project proposals for the European Horizon 2020
Program and national projects, both in fundamental and
- You interface and collaborate on a technical level with research partners from industry and academia.
- You will be responsible for the management of one or more projects
in the domain of reinforcement learning specifically and machine
learning in general, with close application on software defined
- You have the ability to conduct both fundamental research as well
as applied research on application domains such as smart cities,
industry 4.0, robotics, logistics & mobility.
- You will participate in the framework of European and national research projects (in collaboration with industry).
- You publish and present results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- You supervise and assist PhD students during their PhD study.
- You have a Masters of Science degree, preferably in Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- You have (or will receive within a few months) a PhD degree in Computer Science, Electronics, Informatics or similar.
- Your research expertise is in the area of reinforcement learning or machine learning in general. Also, knowledge of networking technologies is highly appreciated, in particular software defined networks.
- Your PhD degree is preferably in the area of machine learning applied to network management. Experience with machine learning technologies is crucial.
- You have published in high-ranking conferences and journals in the field.
- Having experience with managing and supervising team members is an advantage.
- Having experience with participating in national and/or international research projects is an advantage.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- You are able to lead a team and define your own research directions.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
- Type of contract: full time
- Application requirements: CV and motivation letter
- Location: Antwerp
- Candidates with an interesting profile will be contacted for an interview (skype for international candidates).
- The position will be filled as soon as possible.
How to apply
- Please apply using the application button on this webpage. Applications sent to us via email will not be considered.
- Your application should consist of a motivation letter and Full CV
- More information about the position can be obtained through email@example.com.