PhD Vacancy for Deep Learning Based Intelligent and Computationally Efficient Augmented Reality Systems
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, where you will work, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of IDLab, we are looking for a PhD candidate in Deep Learning Based Intelligence and Computationally Efficient Augmented Reality Systems.
- You will actively work on the preparation and defense of a PhD thesis on Deep Learning Based Intelligence and Computationally Efficient Augmented Reality Systems.
- You research state of the art methods in deep learning and computer vision to generate realistic augmented scenes.
- You will validate your research in simulation and on the real-life experimental setups considering the concrete industrial use cases.
- You build a strong knowledge of the baselines currently popular in the area of augmented reality and compare your findings with them.
- You work in close collaboration with the IDLab colleagues and external partners working in the area of computer vision and deep learning.
- You will participate in the framework of international and national research projects and collaborate on a technical level with research partners from the industry.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project in international conferences like NIPS, ICLR, ICML, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV and journals including IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, International Journal of Computer Vision etc.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Electronics-ICT department of the Faculty of Applied Engineering and the IDLab research group.
- You have a Master of Science degree, preferably in (Applied) Engineering, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields; or you will have obtained the Master of Science degree by the time you start working.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp's educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
- Type of contract: full time
- Location: Antwerp
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The planned start date is October 1st 2020 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Application requirements: Academic CV, motivation letter and research statement.
- Candidates with an interesting profile will be contacted for an interview (skype for international candidates).
- The position will be filled as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please apply using the application button on this webpage. Applications sent to us via email will not be considered.
Your application should consist of
- A motivation letter
- Full academic CV
- Research statement
- More information about the position can be obtained by contacting dr. Ali Anwar, postdoctoral researcher, firstname.lastname@example.org