PhD Vacancy for Artificial Intelligence for Traffic Flow predictions
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, where you will work, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of the IDLab machine learning cluster, we are looking for a PhD candidate in Traffic Flow predictions
- In the context of traffic flow predictions, you will conduct academic research on Machine Learning and Deep Learning techniques to predict and analyse traffic flow.
- You will develop new methodologies for traffic flow based on graph neural networks and differential equations.
- You will focus on time-series analysis to generate long-term predictions of traffic density, and thereby push the boundaries of the current state-of-the-art that is limited to short-term predictions. For this, you will develop model architectures that work well for long-term dependencies.
- You will investigate methods for hybrid modelling of traffic, where state-of-the art models are combined from machine learning, with state-of-the-art traffic models that use agent-based models and differential equations.
- You prepare a PhD dissertation on Machine Learning and Deep Learning techniques. You will be supervised by prof. Steven Latre and dr. Jannes Nys.
- You publish and present results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- You interface and collaborate on a technical level with research partners, and will deploy your model as the predictive component of a traffic flow product.
- You have (or will receive within a few months) a Masters of Science degree, preferably in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields.
- You are fluent in python and related deep-learning tools.
- You are comfortable in analysing irregular data, and know how to visualize data to identify difficulties in the modeling process.
- You have a keen interest in deep learning methods, such as graph neural networks, sequential models (e.g. LSTMs) and temporal convolutions.
- You have a keen interest in differential equations.
- Having published in high-ranking conferences and journals in the field is an advantage.
- You know how to prioritize and can deliver in time.
- You are well-organized and able to autonomously plan and execute tasks.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.